|1. ALTITUDE Planted from 1100m up to about 2300m above sea level in areas with warm climate. Ideal production altitude is 1200m to 1900m though some varieties still do well in regions beyond this range.
2. RAINFALL Suitable in areas with annual rainfall ranging from 800mm to 2000mm.
3. SOIL TYPE Grows in a wide range of soil types which are well drained with PH range of 6.0 to 7.0. the crop requires fertile soil with adequate moisture hence inputs such as manure and fertilizer give better yields.
4. FERTILIZER APPLICATION Done two weeks before planting. Apply organic fertilizer 3-5 tones/acre of well decomposed farm yard manure.
5. COMPOUND FERTILIZER Use DAP in soil with high PH and NPK in soils with low PH. Apply at a rate of 75kg/acre during planting and top dressing with CAN or urea before flowering.
6. WEED CONTROL First application is done two weeks after planting and the second one is done just after flowering.
7. SUPPORT The crop must be supported immediately after germination and before the tendrils start to form. Use of either props or posts/wires can be used to support the crop. The plant height is 2-3 meters.
8. NUTRITION INFORMATION Beans are an excellent source of protein, dietary fiber and a very rich source of minerals especially iron, zinc, calcium and phosphorous. Beans have no cholesterol and very low in fats and sugar.